“Happiness comes from within. It is not dependent on external things or on other people. You become vulnerable and can be easily hurt when your feelings of security and happiness depend on the behavior and actions of other people. Never give your power to anyone else.” – Brian L. Weis
Even when you think that something external is making you happy, it’s really your interpretation of it that influences your mood. You can’t wait for something or someone to make you happy, because it won’t last. Real happiness is found right now, where you are, not if or when something happens.
Life doesn’t always seem fair, we won’t always find success in everything we do, and we don’t always have the money to do what we’d like, but you can find happiness inside you, no matter where you are right now.
Game Plan: Ask yourself these questions posed by HMI. If you don’t play hockey, you can relate it to whatever is important in your own life.
- If your ice time went from 10min to 5min, would you still be playing this year?
- If you took away all the fame & success, would you still be playing this year?
- If you took away the money, would you still be playing this year?
- If you took away all the wins, would you still be playing this year?
- Why will you be playing hockey this upcoming season?
Why is it that you do the things that make you happy? Is it really the external rewards or is it the process? There are lots of external factors that you can’t control, but the choice to be happy with what you have is inside you.